How is Paget's disease diagnosed?

A doctor performing an x-ray for other reasons often discovers the bone changes that indicate Paget's disease. If Paget's disease is suspected, a blood test or bone scan can confirm the diagnosis. A blood test measures the amount of alkaline phosphatase. Alkaline phosphatase is an enzyme that helps bones form. It usually occurs in higher amounts in people with Paget's disease. A bone scan uses radioactive tracers to find which parts of the bones have Paget's disease.

Continue Learning about Paget's Disease

What is Pagets disease?
Paget's disease changes your bones. Normally, bone tissue is broken down and rebuilt throughout your...
Should I talk to my doctor about my Paget's disease symptoms?
People with Paget's disease should see a doctor to have their pain treated and to prevent complicati...