What workouts can I do if I have a pacemaker?

First, make sure your physician is aware of your plan to exercise and has approved your plan. It is very important for you to obtain a physical by your physician and to follow his or her recommendations. Talk to your physician about starting a workout program and how to safely progress. It is important that you stop immediately if you start feeling bad.

Physicians often recommend regular cardiovascular exercise when a patient has heart problems. Cardiovascular exercise consists of exercises that make your heart rate increase and then keep it at the increased rate throughout the activity. Examples are walking, biking, elliptical and stair climbing.

(This answer provided for NATA by the King College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Pacemaker

How does a pacemaker work?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Pacemakers are used to treat bradycardia, or slow heartbeat. Pacemakers prevent slow heart beat by s...
When should I call my doctor after ICD or pacemaker surgery?
Imran K. Niazi, MDImran K. Niazi, MD
Call your doctor if you have any of these signs or symptoms after pacemaker surgery: recurrence of s...
How Is Sensor Technology Changing Healthcare?
How Have Wireless Implantable Devices Changed Heart Care?