What are the parts of a pediatric pacemaker?

A pediatric pacemaker has two parts:
  • A pulse generator -- the battery and circuits that create low-energy electrical pulses. The generator is a little larger than a quarter and less than 1/4 inch thick.
  • Leads -- thin insulated wires that deliver the electrical pulses to your child's heart.
A single-chamber pacemaker uses one lead to send pulses to the heart's upper or lower chamber. A dual-chamber pacemaker uses two leads: one in the upper chamber and one in the lower chamber. A biventricular pacemaker has three leads. They are placed in the right upper chamber, right lower chamber, and left lower chamber.

Continue Learning about Pacemaker

What can I expect before my pacemaker procedure?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
When you arrive, here’s what will happen: You will fill out some paperwork and change into a hos...
How do I prepare for a pacemaker procedure?
There are several things you can do to get ready for a pacemaker placement procedure and make it go ...
How Is Sensor Technology Changing Healthcare?
What Is Wireless Health?
What Is Wireless Health?