What are the parts of a pediatric pacemaker?

A pediatric pacemaker has two parts:
  • A pulse generator -- the battery and circuits that create low-energy electrical pulses. The generator is a little larger than a quarter and less than 1/4 inch thick.
  • Leads -- thin insulated wires that deliver the electrical pulses to your child's heart.
A single-chamber pacemaker uses one lead to send pulses to the heart's upper or lower chamber. A dual-chamber pacemaker uses two leads: one in the upper chamber and one in the lower chamber. A biventricular pacemaker has three leads. They are placed in the right upper chamber, right lower chamber, and left lower chamber.

Continue Learning about Pacemaker

Is it safe to have an MRI if I have a pacemaker?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
It may be safe to have an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) if you have a pacemaker, but safety guide...
How do I prepare for a pacemaker procedure?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
There are several things you can do to get ready for a pacemaker placement procedure and make it go ...
What Is Wireless Health?
What Is Wireless Health?
Advances in Wireless Health
Advances in Wireless Health