What if I need a pacemaker due to transposition of the great arteries?

If a pacemaker is needed as a result of complications from treatment of transposition of the great arteries, it is usually inserted during a catheter-based procedure, though sometimes open-heart surgery may be necessary. The pacemaker wires are inserted into a vein in the upper chest and guided to the target areas in the heart. A specialist in heart rhythm problems, called an electrophysiologist, will implant the pacemaker. You will require lifelong follow-up with a cardiologist specializing in adult congenital heart defects to monitor the functioning of the pacemaker.

Continue Learning about Pacemaker

How can I find out if my pacemaker is working properly?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
After pacemaker implantation (surgical insertion of a small device to regulate your heart rhythm), y...
How long does it take to recover from pacemaker surgery?
Recovering from a pacemaker implantation (surgical insertion of a small device to regulate your ...
Advances in Wireless Health
Advances in Wireless Health
What Is Wireless Health?
What Is Wireless Health?