What do the generator and leads of a pacemaker do?

A pacemaker has two parts:

• A pulse generator: the battery and circuits that create low-energy electrical pulses. The generator is a little larger than a quarter and less than 1/4 inch thick.
  • Leads: thin insulated wires that deliver the electrical pulses to your heart. A single-chamber pacemaker uses one lead to send pulses to the heart’s upper or lower chamber. A dual-chamber pacemaker uses two leads: one in the upper chamber and one in the lower chamber. A biventricular pacemaker has three leads. They are placed in the right upper chamber, right lower chamber, and left lower chamber.

Continue Learning about Pacemaker

What workouts can I do if I have a pacemaker?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
First, make sure your physician is aware of your plan to exercise and has approved your plan. It...
How does a pacemaker work?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Pacemakers are used to treat bradycardia, or slow heartbeat. Pacemakers prevent slow heart beat by s...
How Is Sensor Technology Changing Healthcare?
Do We Need a Women-Centric Approach to Treating Heart Disease?