What is a dual chamber pacemaker?

A pacemaker is a small device that is used to regulate your heart rhythm. A pacemaker system is a two part electrical system comprised of a pulse generator and either one or two leads (wires).

Dual chamber pacemakers are pacemaker systems that use a lead in the right atrium as well as the right ventricle. This type of pacing most closely mimics the heart's normal conduction pattern by pacing sequentially from atrium to ventricle, thus maximizing the heart's pumping ability. By having a lead in both the atrium and ventricle the pulse generator is able to continuously regulate the heart's electrical activity in both chambers. These are the most commonly used pacemakers.

A dual chamber pacemaker is more sophisticated than a single chamber pacemaker and affects the upper and lower chambers of the heart.

Continue Learning about Pacemaker

What are the types of pacemakers?
Ravi K. Sureddi, MDRavi K. Sureddi, MD
Wireless pacemakers are an advance in pacemaker technology. In this video, Ravi K. Sureddi, MD, a ca...
How can I find out if my pacemaker is working properly?
Robert J. Subbiondo, MDRobert J. Subbiondo, MD
A doctor can tell you if a pacemaker is working properly, says Robert Subbiondo, MD, from Blake Medi...
Advances in Wireless Health
Advances in Wireless Health
What Is Wireless Health?
What Is Wireless Health?