What is a biventricular pacemaker?

This is a specialized pacemaker used for cardiac resynchronization therapy, which helps coordinate the beating of the heart’s chambers so they function more effectively. It uses two or three wires called leads that may be placed in the left ventricle and the right ventricle, or the left ventricle and the right atrium.
A biventricular pacemaker is used in the treatment of congestive heart failure. Sometimes in heart failure, the two ventricles do not pump in a normal manner. When this happens, less blood is pumped by the heart. A biventricular pacemaker paces both ventricles at the same time, increasing the amount of blood pumped by the heart. This type of treatment is called cardiac resynchronization therapy or CRT.

Continue Learning about Pacemaker

What workouts can I do if I have a pacemaker?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
First, make sure your physician is aware of your plan to exercise and has approved your plan. It...
How does a single-chamber pacemaker differ from a two-chamber pacemaker?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
The heart has four chambers. The two on top are called the left and right atrium. The bottom two are...
How Have Wireless Implantable Devices Changed Heart Care?
What Is Wireless Health?
What Is Wireless Health?