What is a biventricular pacemaker?

A biventricular pacemaker is used in the treatment of congestive heart failure. Sometimes in heart failure, the two ventricles do not pump in a normal manner. When this happens, less blood is pumped by the heart. A biventricular pacemaker paces both ventricles at the same time, increasing the amount of blood pumped by the heart. This type of treatment is called cardiac resynchronization therapy or CRT.
This is a specialized pacemaker used for cardiac resynchronization therapy, which helps coordinate the beating of the heart’s chambers so they function more effectively. It uses two or three wires called leads that may be placed in the left ventricle and the right ventricle, or the left ventricle and the right atrium.

Continue Learning about Pacemaker

What symptoms should I look out for after my child's pacemaker placement?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Call the doctor if your child experiences any of these symptoms following a pacemaker placement ...
What could cause a pulsation after having a pacemaker implanted?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Symptoms such as you describe could be caused by a number of problems, including lead perforatio...
How Do Wireless Devices Help Doctors and Patients?
How Is Sensor Technology Changing Healthcare?