What happens after a pediatric pacemaker placement operation?

The following occurs after a pediatric pacemaker placement surgery:
  • Your child will probably stay in the hospital overnight, so your healthcare team can monitor his or her heartbeat.
  • The next morning your child will have a device check to make sure the leads and generator are working well.
  • Your child will get a pacemaker ID card that identifies the type of pacemaker he or she has, when it was placed, and who performed the procedure. Your child will get a permanent card in the mail in a few weeks. Make sure your child has the ID card at all times.
  • Going home: When your child has recovered adequately from sedation and the procedure, the nurse will send you and your child home with instructions from the cardiologist.

Continue Learning about Pacemaker

How should I prepare my child for his or her pacemaker procedure?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
There are several things you can do to get ready for your child's pacemaker procedure and make it go...
Who should know that my child has a pacemaker?
Let people know that your child has a pacemaker: Make sure your child has her device ID card at ...
Advances in Wireless Health
Advances in Wireless Health
Do We Need a Women-Centric Approach to Treating Heart Disease?