How do I take care of my pacemaker?

Here’s how the pacemaker will be maintained:
  • Follow-up appointments. Your healthcare provider will ask you to set up follow-up appointments. To check the pacemaker, you will have various kinds of tests. For example, a pacemaker programmer -- like a small portable computer -- will check the device using a wand placed over the pacemaker. The doctor might also adjust the pacemaker’s settings.
  • Checking the pacemaker over the phone. A transmitter might be used at home to send pacemaker signals to your doctor.
  • Replacing the battery. The average battery life is 5 to 10 years. Follow-up appointments will tell your healthcare provider if this is needed.
  • Replacing leads. In rare cases, the leads can become cracked. Your healthcare provider will check the leads and replace them if needed.

Continue Learning about Pacemaker

How should I prepare my child for his or her pacemaker procedure?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
There are several things you can do to get ready for your child's pacemaker procedure and make it go...
What does a pediatric pacemaker treat?
A pediatric pacemaker is used to correct the following heart problems: Damage to the sinus node ...
How Have Wireless Implantable Devices Changed Heart Care?
How Is Sensor Technology Changing Healthcare?