How should I prepare my child for his or her pacemaker procedure?

There are several things you can do to get ready for your child's pacemaker procedure and make it go more smoothly.
  • Arrange for time off work or school. Your child can return to work or school when the doctor says it's okay, usually after a week or so.
  • Tell your child's doctor about medications and allergies. Along with prescription medications, include over-the-counter drugs, herbs, and vitamins.
  • Follow the doctor's directions about medications. Your child may need to stop taking certain blood thinners before the procedure.
  • Arrange for a ride. You or someone else needs to give your child a ride to and from the hospital.
  • Have your child fast (no food or drink) for 6 to 8 hours before the procedure. If the procedure is in the morning, your child should not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before.

Continue Learning about Pacemaker

How do I prepare for a pacemaker procedure?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
There are several things you can do to get ready for a pacemaker placement procedure and make it go ...
How do pacemakers treat abnormal heart rhythms?
Westby G. Fisher, MDWestby G. Fisher, MD
Pacemakers prevent the heart rate from going too slowly and keep the heart beating at a minimum ...
Advances in Wireless Health
Advances in Wireless Health
How Do Wireless Devices Help Doctors and Patients?