How do I care for my pacemaker incision?

When you go home, you'll need to take care of your incision, report problems, gradually increase your activity, and adjust to a few basic restrictions.
After about a week, the stitches will dissolve or your doctor will remove them. Here's how to care for your incision:
  • Keep the incision clean and dry. Don't immerse the incision in water for the first week, or until it heals. Cover it with plastic if you shower. Don't scrub the site -- clean it with antiseptic as directed by your doctor. If the dressing becomes wet or soiled, remove the dressing and clean the site with antiseptic or soap and water, as directed by your doctor. Avoid using creams, ointments, or lotions on the site.
  • Wear loose clothing around the site. If you want to wear a bra, place a gauze pad over the pulse generator to reduce rubbing on the stitches.
  • Expect some soreness for the first few days and slight swelling for about 2 to 4 weeks.

Continue Learning about Pacemaker

Can I use a cell phone or microwave oven if I have a pacemaker?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
It is possible that a cellular phone might interfere with the normal functioning of your pacemak...
What are the possible risks of a pediatric pacemaker placement for a child?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
The following are the risks and potential complications of a child pacemaker placement: Bleeding...
What Is Wireless Health?
What Is Wireless Health?
How Is Sensor Technology Changing Healthcare?