How do I care for my pacemaker incision?

When you go home, you'll need to take care of your incision, report problems, gradually increase your activity, and adjust to a few basic restrictions.
After about a week, the stitches will dissolve or your doctor will remove them. Here's how to care for your incision:
  • Keep the incision clean and dry. Don't immerse the incision in water for the first week, or until it heals. Cover it with plastic if you shower. Don't scrub the site -- clean it with antiseptic as directed by your doctor. If the dressing becomes wet or soiled, remove the dressing and clean the site with antiseptic or soap and water, as directed by your doctor. Avoid using creams, ointments, or lotions on the site.
  • Wear loose clothing around the site. If you want to wear a bra, place a gauze pad over the pulse generator to reduce rubbing on the stitches.
  • Expect some soreness for the first few days and slight swelling for about 2 to 4 weeks.

Continue Learning about Pacemaker

Pacemaker

This small, battery-operated device weighs about an ounce and sends a signal to your heart to correct a slow or irregular heartbeat. A pacemaker is implanted under the skin, usually on the left side of the chest below the collarbo...

ne. The procedure takes about an hour, and most patients go home within a day. Types of pacemakers vary; some correct a slow heartbeat, while others stop an irregular heartbeat or stop severe heart failure.