Q

Pacemaker

Can I use a cell phone or microwave oven if I have a pacemaker?

• It is possible that a cellular phone might interfere with the normal functioning of your pacemaker (a surgically implanted device used to regulate your heart rhythm). The interaction is temporary, however, and will only affect the pacemaker during the time that your cellular phone is close to your pacemaker. To avoid this potential interference, it is recommended that you hold the cellular phone on the opposite side of your body away from the pacemaker. You should also not store your cellular phone in your breast pocket. You should always try to maintain a distance of at least 6 inches between your cellular phone and your pacemaker system.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Can airport security scanning equipment impact a pacemaker?