Can I use a cell phone or microwave oven if I have a pacemaker?

It is possible that a cellular phone might interfere with the normal functioning of your pacemaker (a surgically implanted device used to regulate your heart rhythm). The interaction is temporary, however, and will only affect the pacemaker during the time that your cellular phone is close to your pacemaker. To avoid this potential interference, it is recommended that you hold the cellular phone on the opposite side of your body away from the pacemaker. You should also not store your cellular phone in your breast pocket. You should always try to maintain a distance of at least 6 inches between your cellular phone and your pacemaker system.

Continue Learning about Pacemaker

Pacemaker

This small, battery-operated device weighs about an ounce and sends a signal to your heart to correct a slow or irregular heartbeat. A pacemaker is implanted under the skin, usually on the left side of the chest below the collarbo...

ne. The procedure takes about an hour, and most patients go home within a day. Types of pacemakers vary; some correct a slow heartbeat, while others stop an irregular heartbeat or stop severe heart failure.