What is oxycodone hydrochloride?

Oxycodone hydrochloride is a narcotic analgesic medication similar to morphine that is taken day and night when continuous long term pain relief is indicated. It is known by the brand name Oxycontin and comes in a time released tablet form. This medication is not used for mild short term pain or on an as needed basis. Oxycodone hydrochloride is typically not prescribed for pain following surgery, but can be used if you were taking it beforehand. Oxycodone Hydrochloride works by acting on the central nervous system to block moderate to severe pain. Oxycodone hydrochloride is available by prescription only.

Continue Learning about Oxycodone

How do I take oxycodone?
You should take oxycodone exactly as directed by the doctor who prescribed it for you. Typically...
Can I take oxycodone if I am pregnant?
Oxycodone has been classified in Pregnancy Category B by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA),...
What should I know about oxycodone before taking it?
You should know that oxycodone can be addictive and is a drug that has been abused. You will nee...
Is oxycodone habit-forming?
Yes. Although physical dependence on oxycodone is possible, it is unlikely if the lowest dose is...