Is oxycodone habit-forming?

Yes. Although physical dependence on oxycodone is possible, it is unlikely if the lowest dose is used and it is used correctly. Some people will develop a tolerance to the drug and need a higher dose to achieve the same level of pain control if they are taking the medicine for a long time.

If you have been taking oxycodone for more than a few weeks and do become physically dependent you may experience withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking oxycodone suddenly, so your doctor may want to decrease your dose slowly.

Talk to your doctor if you have any concerns about dependence, tolerance or withdrawal symptoms.

Continue Learning about Oxycodone

What are the side effects of oxycodone hydrochloride?
An allergic reaction to oxycodone hydrochloride can cause swelling of your face, lips, tongue, and t...
What should I know about oxycodone before taking it?
You should know that oxycodone can be addictive and is a drug that has been abused. You will nee...
Can I take oxycodone if I am pregnant?
Oxycodone has been classified in Pregnancy Category B by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA),...
What is oxycodone?
Oxycodone is a narcotic pain reliever similar to morphine that is taken day and night for contin...