Can I use OxyContin if I am taking phenelzine?

If your doctor prescribes the pain reliever OxyContin (oxycodone), be sure to tell him or her that you're taking phenelzine. Your doctor will decide whether it's safe for you to combine these medications.

OxyContin belongs to a family of drugs called opioids. Phenelzine is a type of antidepressant known as a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor. There have been reports of patients who experienced bad reactions to the combination of MAO inhibitors and opioid drugs, although it's not clear that OxyContin, specifically, carries this risk.

To avoid dangerous drug interactions, give your doctor a detailed list of all your medications before you start taking OxyContin.

Continue Learning about Oxycodone

What is oxycodone?
Oxycodone is a narcotic pain reliever similar to morphine that is taken day and night for contin...
What are the side effects of oxycodone?
Serious side effects of oxycodone include shallow breathing, slow heartbeat, seizure (convulsion...
Can I take oxycodone if I am pregnant?
Oxycodone has been classified in Pregnancy Category B by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA),...
How does oxycodone hydrochloride interact with other drugs or food?
CNS depressants (drugs that make you drowsy) can increase the effects of oxycodone hydrochloride. Th...