Can I use OxyContin if I am receiving pentazocine?

As a rule, doctors don't recommend combining OxyContin (oxycodone) and pentazocine (Talwin). Doctors prescribe OxyContin for the relief of moderate to severe pain; pentazocine is a painkiller, too, which is sometimes used as a supplement to anesthesia in patients undergoing surgery. Pentazocine can block OxyContin, making it less effective. If you're going to have surgery, be sure to tell your doctor about all prescription and over-the-counter medications you use.

Continue Learning about Oxycodone

What is oxycodone hydrochloride?
Oxycodone hydrochloride is a narcotic analgesic medication similar to morphine that is taken day and...
Can I become addicted to opioid pain-killing drugs such as oxycodone?
Fredrick WadeFredrick Wade
Many people become addicted due to having medical procedures, such as an operation, or due to some f...
What are the side effects of oxycodone hydrochloride?
An allergic reaction to oxycodone hydrochloride can cause swelling of your face, lips, tongue, and t...
Will I experience withdrawal symptoms after taking oxycodone?
Maybe. Oxycodone is a potent narcotic with the potential for dependence. If you have been taking...