Can I take OxyContin if I'm pregnant?

You shouldn't take the pain reliever OxyContin (oxycodone) if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Like other opioid drugs, OxyContin can cause physical dependency -- and because opioid drugs are capable of crossing the placenta, a developing fetus will be exposed to this drug and could become dependent on it. After birth, a baby born to a woman who used OxyContin may develop withdrawal symptoms, such as difficulty breathing, restlessness and relentless crying. This is called neonatal withdrawal syndrome, and it can be fatal.

Additionally, taking OxyContin during or just prior to labor could interfere with contractions and prolong delivery.

Continue Learning about Oxycodone

What are the side effects of oxycodone hydrochloride?
An allergic reaction to oxycodone hydrochloride can cause swelling of your face, lips, tongue, and t...
What should I know about oxycodone before taking it?
You should know that oxycodone can be addictive and is a drug that has been abused. You will nee...
Who should not take oxycodone?
You might not be able to take oxycodone if you have low blood pressure, asthma, chronic obstruct...
Will I experience withdrawal symptoms after taking oxycodone?
Maybe. Oxycodone is a potent narcotic with the potential for dependence. If you have been taking...