Can I take oxycodone if I am pregnant?

Oxycodone has been classified in Pregnancy Category B by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which means that when given to animals some birth defects were seen. However, studies in animals don't always accurately predict what will happen in humans and this drug was not studied specifically in women who were pregnant.

Oxycodone can cause some problems during labor and delivery by reducing the strength, duration and frequency of uterine contractions, slowing down the delivery process. And if you are taking oxycodone in the last few weeks before delivery, it may cause the baby to have breathing problems and withdrawal symptoms after he or she is born.

As with all drug use during pregnancy, the benefits should outweigh any risk to both you and your baby.

Continue Learning about Oxycodone

What is oxycodone hydrochloride?
Oxycodone hydrochloride is a narcotic analgesic medication similar to morphine that is taken day and...
How do I take oxycodone?
You should take oxycodone exactly as directed by the doctor who prescribed it for you. Typically...
How does oxycodone interact with other drugs or food?
Central nervous system (CNS) depressants (drugs that make you drowsy) can increase the effects o...
Who should not take oxycodone hydrochloride?
If you have hypotension, asthma, COPD, or other breathing disorders, kidney disease, epilepsy or sei...