What is a post-void residual measurement test?

If you have the urge to urinate frequently but don't void much fluid, your doctor might recommend a post void residual measurement test to see if you are emptying your bladder completely. To do this, you will urinate, and then your doctor will insert a small, soft tube (catheter) into the bladder through the urethra to drain any remaining urine. Alternatively, your doctor might use an abdominal ultrasound to get an image of your bladder and the amount of fluid in it.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

My Story: Kelly Jo and OAB
My Story: Kelly Jo and OAB
Living with overactive bladder, or OAB, can make certain aspects of life challenging, but there are ways you can manage your symptoms. In this video, ...
How often should I go to the doctor for a physical examination?
Dr. Talal N. Khan, MDDr. Talal N. Khan, MD
A preventive wellness visit is recommended once a year. It helps keep a relationship with your docto...
Can overactive bladder lead to depression?
Functional urinary incontinence from depression or a similar emotional issue is rare, but it does ha...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?