How can a urine ultrasound help diagnose overactive bladder?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
A urine ultrasound is used to identify possible blockages in your urinary tract. You will be asked to urinate in a container that measures the amount. Then your doctor uses a catheter or takes an ultrasound to see how much urine is leftover inside your bladder. A lot of remaining urine in your bladder may mean that a blockage or something in your urinary tract is keeping urine from flowing properly.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

My Story: Veronica and OAB
My Story: Veronica and OAB
Overactive bladder (OAB) can be embarrassing—but you're not alone. In the U.S., over 200,000 cases are diagnosed each year. In this video, Veronica sh...
Is surgery an option for severe overactive bladder?
Several surgical options are available if you are not responding to other treatments or for certain ...
Can overactive bladder lead to depression?
Functional urinary incontinence from depression or a similar emotional issue is rare, but it does ha...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?