How does a urine culture help diagnose overactive bladder?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Your doctor may order a urine culture to identify urinary tract infections. The most common way it is done is for you to urinate after cleaning around your vagina or penis. The urine sample is sent to a laboratory to identify excessive bacteria growth, a urinary tract infection or a bladder infection. If bacteria are found, an antibiotics can be used to treat the infection.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

5 Big Reasons You Pee So Much
5 Big Reasons You Pee So Much
Overactive bladder (OAB) affects approximately 33 million Americans, though the number of people suffering from symptoms is thought to be significantl...
Who should I see about my overactive bladder?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Your family medicine doctor or primary care doctor is a great person to see about your overactive bl...
How often should I go to the doctor for a physical examination?
Dr. Talal N. Khan, MDDr. Talal N. Khan, MD
A preventive wellness visit is recommended once a year. It helps keep a relationship with your docto...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?