Is surgery an option for severe overactive bladder?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Several surgical options are available if you are not responding to other treatments or for certain other reasons. One procedure increases the size of the bladder and reportedly has a 90 percent success rate. Others use a sling to support the bladder. Remember that surgery may not be a cure for certain causes of overactive bladder. Surgery also comes with some risks, including:  

• Urinary tract infection
  • Pelvic prolapse
  • Difficulty urinating or urine stoppage before emptying bladder (usually temporary)
  • Difficulty or pain during sex

You and your doctor should weigh the risks and benefits before deciding to have surgery.

For severe overactive bladder there are surgical options, such as InterStim (sacral nerve stimulation), that a urogynecologist or urologist may suggest. Also, if a condition like cystocele is contributing to overactive bladder symptoms, surgical repair of that condition could be beneficial. Usually multiple medical treatments are tried prior to surgery.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

My Story: Lynne and OAB
My Story: Lynne and OAB
Overactive bladder, or OAB, is characterized by having a frequent and sometimes uncontrollable need to urinate. In this video, Lynne shares her strugg...
Who should I see about my overactive bladder?
If you experience signs and symptoms of overactive bladder, you might first visit your family doctor...
How does interstitial cystitis affect overactive bladder?
It is not known how interstitial cystitis affects overactive bladder. Interstitial cystitis is a...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?