Why should I consider a urologist for overactive bladder?

Overactive bladder symptoms may represent other problems also.  Bladder cancer, ureter stone, bladder infection, neurogenic bladder can all cause urine frequency, urgency and only a urologist can ensure that there is no other serious problem that is causing your symptoms.  this usually entails a careful pelvic exam and a 1-2 minute scope of your bladder in the office.
Overactive Bladder is a urologic disorder that can have many underlying causes, it could be directly related to bladder, cystitis(bladder inflammation), infection, neurologic issues, bladder stone, or it could be secondary to bladder outlet obstruction from an enlarged prostate or urethral stricture.
Either way your urologist will go through this differential diagnosis and will solve it through urinalysis, examination, cystoscopy and possible urodynamics.  Majority of times this can be resolved by some oral medications but have to make sure there are no other causes such an infection.
You may need to see a urologist if your overactive bladder symptoms cannot be diagnosed by your primary-care provider or family physician. A urologist is a doctor who specializes in diseases of the urinary tract and the male reproductive system. If you have frequent, recurring or long-lasting urinary tract infections, you should see a urologist. If you see blood in your urine, you should see a urologist immediately because this may mean that you have a problem beyond a urinary tract problem.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

My Story: Veronica and OAB
My Story: Veronica and OAB
Overactive bladder (OAB) can be embarrassing—but you're not alone. In the U.S., over 200,000 cases are diagnosed each year. In this video, Veronica sh...
Is there a connection between overactive bladder and prostate cancer?
Certain treatments for prostate cancer may cause men to develop overactive bladder. One type of canc...
Do certain foods worsen overactive bladder?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Certain foods can worsen overactive bladder. Some of the main offenders are acidic and citrus foods ...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?