What is sensory urge incontinence?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Sensory urge incontinence is a strong, sudden need to urinate that happens because of problems with the urethra. The urethra is the short tube through which urine flows out of the body. Sensory urge incontinence is one of two kinds of urge incontinence. The other kind is motor urge incontinence. This is caused by muscles that contract too much, especially the detrusor muscle, which squeezes out urine and then relaxes so the bladder can fill again. Sensory urge incontinence is one of several types of overactive bladder conditions. 

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

What Causes Overactive Bladder?
What Causes Overactive Bladder?
An overactive bladder can be caused by drinking too much water, but it can also be a symptom of a urinary tract infection or diabetes. Watch urologist...
How does interstitial cystitis affect overactive bladder?
It is not known how interstitial cystitis affects overactive bladder. Interstitial cystitis is a...
Who should I see about my overactive bladder?
If you experience signs and symptoms of overactive bladder, you might first visit your family doctor...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?