What is the Q-tip test for overactive bladder?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
A "Q-tip test" rules out various types of overactive bladder. Your doctor measures the change in the angle of the urethra at rest and when straining. If it changes in angle more than 30 degrees, this may mean the muscles supporting your bladder are weak, which is a sign of stress incontinence.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

My Story: Veronica and OAB
My Story: Veronica and OAB
Overactive bladder (OAB) can be embarrassing—but you're not alone. In the U.S., over 200,000 cases are diagnosed each year. In this video, Veronica sh...
Can doctors always figure out the cause of overactive bladder?
In some cases of overactive bladder, no apparent cause can be determined. This is known as idiop...
Is overactive bladder more common in women or men?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Various studies have shown that the prevalence of overactive bladder is either even in men and women...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?