Can prolonged pushing during labor affect my bladder health?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Pushing during labor causes great stress on your pelvic floor, so the longer you push, the greater the chance of injury. Prolonged pushing may even increase your risk of pelvic nerve injury, fecal incontinence and bladder dysfunction. Talk to your doctor about techniques for less strenuous pushing to reduce pelvic trauma, and ways to limit the amount of time you push forcefully.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

My Story: Kelly Jo and OAB
My Story: Kelly Jo and OAB
Living with overactive bladder, or OAB, can make certain aspects of life challenging, but there are ways you can manage your symptoms. In this video, ...
Is overactive bladder the same as urinary incontinence?
Overactive bladder is a form of a specific type of urinary incontinence. Urge incontinence is a type...
How does interstitial cystitis affect overactive bladder?
It is not known how interstitial cystitis affects overactive bladder. Interstitial cystitis is a...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?