Why can pregnancy lead to overactive bladder?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Pregnancy can cause overactive bladder because of the pressure placed on the bladder and the pelvic muscles. They can become loose or weak during pregnancy and can even get injured during childbirth. A long or difficult delivery can stretch or tear nerves and tissues around the pelvis that are needed to control bladder function, and this may produce overactive bladder symptoms.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

Is an Overactive Bladder Serious?
Is an Overactive Bladder Serious?
An overactive bladder is not life threatening but it can affect someone's quality of life says, urologist Arthur Crowley. In this video, Dr. Crowley e...
Who should I see about my overactive bladder?
If you experience signs and symptoms of overactive bladder, you might first visit your family doctor...
How does interstitial cystitis affect overactive bladder?
It is not known how interstitial cystitis affects overactive bladder. Interstitial cystitis is a...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?