Is overactive bladder the same as urinary incontinence?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Overactive bladder is a form of a specific type of urinary incontinence. Urge incontinence is a type of urinary incontinence where a person suddenly feels the need to expel urine and has just a minute to do so before an accident. Most often, urge incontinence is caused by something else, such as a urinary tract infection or a bladder irritant. However, when no particular cause is known, urge incontinence is then referred to as overactive bladder.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

My Story: Veronica and OAB
My Story: Veronica and OAB
Overactive bladder (OAB) can be embarrassing—but you're not alone. In the U.S., over 200,000 cases are diagnosed each year. In this video, Veronica sh...
My Story: Brynn and OAB
My Story: Brynn and OAB
People who are affected by overactive bladder (OAB) struggle with frequent and sometimes uncontrollable urges to urinate. In this video, Brynn shares ...
My Story: Kelly Jo and OAB
My Story: Kelly Jo and OAB
Living with overactive bladder, or OAB, can make certain aspects of life challenging, but there are ways you can manage your symptoms. In this video, ...
Who should I see about my overactive bladder?
If you experience signs and symptoms of overactive bladder, you might first visit your family doctor...