Is overactive bladder more common in women or men?

Various studies have shown that the prevalence of overactive bladder is either even in men and women or slightly more common in women.

Overactive bladder (OB) is more common in women than in men. However, men and women of all ages and races can develop overactive bladder. Women have a greater chance of developing two types of OB: stress incontinence and mixed incontinence. Stress incontinence is due to the insufficient strength of the pelvic floor muscles. Mixed incontinence is due to involuntary actions of the bladder muscles (usually due to nerve problems), as well as weakened pelvic floor muscles.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

Is an Overactive Bladder Serious?
Is an Overactive Bladder Serious?
An overactive bladder is not life threatening but it can affect someone's quality of life says, urologist Arthur Crowley. In this video, Dr. Crowley e...
Is there a connection between overactive bladder and prostate cancer?
Certain treatments for prostate cancer may cause men to develop overactive bladder. One type of canc...
Should I see my doctor if I think I have overactive bladder?
If you have symptoms of overactive bladder, you should talk to your doctor to get a diagnosis. O...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?