Can medical illness cause temporary symptoms of overactive bladder?

Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Medicine
Several medical conditions can produce overactive bladder symptoms. Diabetes and multiple sclerosis can damage nerves and lead to urinary tract problems. If you do not manage your diabetes, you can get sugar in your urine and that causes more urine to be produced. Parkinson's disease can also damage parts of the brain that help to control the bladder, so your bladder may stop working properly.  Also, blood vessel diseases such as high blood pressure may increase your risk of overactive bladder.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

5 Big Reasons You Pee So Much
5 Big Reasons You Pee So Much
Overactive bladder (OAB) affects approximately 33 million Americans, though the number of people suffering from symptoms is thought to be significantl...
Who should I see about my overactive bladder?
If you experience signs and symptoms of overactive bladder, you might first visit your family doctor...
What is overactive bladder?
Ja-Hong Kim, MDJa-Hong Kim, MD
Overactive bladder is a clinical diagnosis that is characterized by the presence of bothersome urina...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?