How does measuring bladder pressure help diagnose overactive bladder?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
During cystometry, bladder pressure is measured while your bladder is being filled up. This allows your doctor to see how much pressure it takes for you to be able to urinate and how fast you do it. Your doctor then uses a catheter to check for uncontrolled muscle contractions and when you might feel an urge to urinate.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

Overactive Bladder Treatments
Overactive Bladder Treatments
Having an overactive bladder is uncomfortable and inconvenient, but there are ways to help your condition. Watch this video for things you can do at h...
What is double voiding?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Double voiding is voiding a second time, 10 to 15 minutes after an initial time. This ensures that t...
Should I see my doctor if I think I have overactive bladder?
If you have symptoms of overactive bladder, you should talk to your doctor to get a diagnosis. O...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?