Should I try holding back my urine to manage overactive bladder?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
If you are trying to retrain your bladder, you should hold your urine flow for some time to help strengthen the muscles and increase the duration between visits. When you use the bathroom, make sure to empty your bladder completely.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

Is It Overactive Bladder or Something Else?
If you find yourself having to pee often, planning trips around bathroom access or getting up in the middle of the night to empty your bladder, you ma...
Is overactive bladder more common in women or men?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Various studies have shown that the prevalence of overactive bladder is either even in men and women...
Do certain foods worsen overactive bladder?
Certain foods can worsen overactive bladder. Some of the main offenders are acidic and citrus foods ...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?