How does giving birth affect overactive bladder?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Women who have recently given birth can develop overactive bladder. This is especially true for women who have delivered through the vagina instead of with a cesarean section. It has been shown that women who have given birth can develop pelvic nerve damage. This occurs because the pelvic floor muscles are stretched and moved by the baby. These muscles support the bladder.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

My Story: Veronica and OAB
My Story: Veronica and OAB
Overactive bladder (OAB) can be embarrassing—but you're not alone. In the U.S., over 200,000 cases are diagnosed each year. In this video, Veronica sh...
Is there one definite cause of overactive bladder?
Kimberly L. Burgess, MDKimberly L. Burgess, MD
There is no single cause of an overactive bladder. Overactive bladder is defined as urinary urgency,...
What surgical options are available to treat overactive bladder?
Ja-Hong Kim, MDJa-Hong Kim, MD
If minimally invasive procedures don’t work in the treatment of overactive bladder, the surgical opt...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?