Can doctors always figure out the cause of overactive bladder?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
In some cases of overactive bladder, no apparent cause can be determined. This is known as idiopathic overactive bladder. In other cases, a number of different factors may be responsible. Among those factors that may cause or contribute to overactive bladder are:

• Spasms of the bladder’s muscles

• Nervous system problems

• Urinary tract infections

• Bladder stones or tumors

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

My Story: Kelly Jo and OAB
My Story: Kelly Jo and OAB
Living with overactive bladder, or OAB, can make certain aspects of life challenging, but there are ways you can manage your symptoms. In this video, ...
Is surgery an option for severe overactive bladder?
Several surgical options are available if you are not responding to other treatments or for certain ...
Is overactive bladder the same as urinary incontinence?
Overactive bladder is a form of a specific type of urinary incontinence. Urge incontinence is a type...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?