How does my diet affect my bladder?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
There are no special diets for overactive bladder, but certain types of food can irritate or trigger overactive bladder. Try to avoid tomato-based foods, spicy foods, chocolate, artificial sweeteners and honey. Also, fruit and fruit juices (except cranberry juice) tend to irritate the bladder. Water is the best beverage for your condition.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

What's Really Happening in the Bladder When You Have OAB
See how the bladder functions in a patient living with an overactive bladder in this revolutionary, three-dimensional video from Sharecare’s Virtual R...
Is surgery an option for severe overactive bladder?
Several surgical options are available if you are not responding to other treatments or for certain ...
Is there one definite cause of overactive bladder?
Kimberly L. Burgess, MDKimberly L. Burgess, MD
There is no single cause of an overactive bladder. Overactive bladder is defined as urinary urgency,...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?