Can constipation contribute to overactive bladder?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Constipation can lead to overactive bladder symptoms because your colon and bladder are next to each other in your body. When your colon is full, it presses your bladder and causes problems. The same happens when your rectum is full of stool; it disturbs your bladder and creates the sensation of urgency and frequency.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

Must-Know Facts About Overactive Bladder
Overactive bladder occurs when there’s a disruption in communication between the brain and the bladder. Learn more about the condition from this revol...
What is double voiding?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Double voiding is voiding a second time, 10 to 15 minutes after an initial time. This ensures that t...
Should I see my doctor if I think I have overactive bladder?
If you have symptoms of overactive bladder, you should talk to your doctor to get a diagnosis. O...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?