Is there a connection between overactive bladder and diabetes?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Diabetes may damage the nerves that control proper bladder function. Studies show that more than half of all adults with diabetes also have bladder problems. With diabetes, these damaged nerves can send false signals about the need to urinate. This can make the bladder’s muscles suddenly squeeze without warning, which is a symptom of overactive bladder. 
Ja-Hong Kim, MD
Urology
There is a link between overactive bladder and diabetes in the sense that diabetes is a condition that affects the nervous system. As a result, the peripheral nerves that control the bladder can be affected by diabetes and therefore cause urinary frequency, urgency, and sometimes difficulty voiding. Incomplete emptying is also another problem.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

My Story: Veronica and OAB
My Story: Veronica and OAB
Overactive bladder (OAB) can be embarrassing—but you're not alone. In the U.S., over 200,000 cases are diagnosed each year. In this video, Veronica sh...
What is double voiding?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Double voiding is voiding a second time, 10 to 15 minutes after an initial time. This ensures that t...
What is overactive bladder?
Ja-Hong Kim, MDJa-Hong Kim, MD
Overactive bladder is a clinical diagnosis that is characterized by the presence of bothersome urina...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?