Why does childbirth cause bladder problems?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
After pregnancy, you may experience symptoms of overactive bladder because your pelvic floor muscles and nerves are now weakened. The following events during delivery may have also damaged your pelvic muscles: 

- An episiotomy, which is a cut made in the pelvic floor muscle during delivery to allow the baby to come out more easily
- Damage to the nerves that control the bladder
- The urethra and bladder have moved during pregnancy

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

What Causes Overactive Bladder?
What Causes Overactive Bladder?
An overactive bladder can be caused by drinking too much water, but it can also be a symptom of a urinary tract infection or diabetes. Watch urologist...
Can doctors always figure out the cause of overactive bladder?
In some cases of overactive bladder, no apparent cause can be determined. This is known as idiop...
Who should I see about my overactive bladder?
If you experience signs and symptoms of overactive bladder, you might first visit your family doctor...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?