How does catheterization help diagnose overactive bladder?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
A catheter is a thin, soft tube. A catheter may be inserted into the bladder to drain urine or to insert dyes or other substances during X-rays.   It helps to determine the amount of remaining urine in the bladder and may identify blockages that prevent urine from flowing properly.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

What's Really Happening in the Bladder When You Have OAB
See how the bladder functions in a patient living with an overactive bladder in this revolutionary, three-dimensional video from Sharecare’s Virtual R...
Who should I see about my overactive bladder?
If you experience signs and symptoms of overactive bladder, you might first visit your family doctor...
What surgical options are available to treat overactive bladder?
Ja-Hong Kim, MDJa-Hong Kim, MD
If minimally invasive procedures don’t work in the treatment of overactive bladder, the surgical opt...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?