How is a stage I ovarian germ cell tumor treated?

Treatment of a grade I ovarian germ cell tumor may involve surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy. Dysgerminoma is the most common subtype of ovarian germ cell tumor. If you have a stage I dysgerminoma, you may need surgery to remove one or both ovaries. This may be followed by observation, radiation, or chemotherapy. Other germ cell tumor subtypes are treated surgically with or without chemotherapy. Your treatment plan will depend on your age, overall health, and desire to have children.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Germ Cell

What is the rate of incidence of ovarian germ cell tumors?
The age adjusted rate of incidence of ovarian germ cell tumors is 0.41 per 100,000. Dysgerminomas ar...
Are ovarian germ cell tumors serious?
Ovarian germ cell tumors can be serious, particularly when they are not diagnosed and treated early....
What is an ovarian germ cell tumor?
Ovarian germ cell tumors form when germ cells in the ovary become abnormal and begin to grow and div...
Are there different types of ovarian germ cell tumors?
Yes, there are several different types of ovarian germ cell tumors. Dysgerminomas account for 35-50 ...