How are ovarian germ cell tumors staged?

Ovarian germ cell tumors are staged from I to IV, where stage I represents early cancer that has not spread and stage IV represents late stage cancer that has spread to distant organs. Staging requires a careful examination of the primary tumor, its size, and whether it extends to outside the ovary. Doctors also examine nearby lymph nodes in order to assess the presence and extent of lymphatic spread. The doctor may withdraw fluid from your abdomen and test it for malignant cells. Finally, doctors must determine whether your cancer has metastasized, or spread to distant organs.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Germ Cell

What is the rate of incidence of ovarian germ cell tumors?
The age adjusted rate of incidence of ovarian germ cell tumors is 0.41 per 100,000. Dysgerminomas ar...
Are ovarian germ cell tumors serious?
Ovarian germ cell tumors can be serious, particularly when they are not diagnosed and treated early....
What is an ovarian germ cell tumor?
Ovarian germ cell tumors form when germ cells in the ovary become abnormal and begin to grow and div...
Are there different types of ovarian germ cell tumors?
Yes, there are several different types of ovarian germ cell tumors. Dysgerminomas account for 35-50 ...