When should I call my doctor if I have ovarian cancer?

You should call your doctor if you are in treatment for ovarian cancer and have any questions about your condition or treatment. You should also talk to your doctor if you are in remission from ovarian cancer and you notice signs of a possible recurrence or other problems.

If you have not been diagnosed with ovarian cancer you should call your doctor if you have symptoms of ovarian cancer that have persisted for more than two weeks, including:
  • bloating
  • pelvic or abdominal pain
  • difficulty eating, indigestion or feeling full quickly
  • back pain
  • pain during intercourse
  • constipation
  • menstrual irregularities
  • fatigue
Only about 20 percent of ovarian cancers are diagnosed at an early stage, according to the American Cancer Society. The subtlety of symptoms is thought to be the main reason that early detection rates are so low. Although the symptoms above can also by signs of many other conditions, you should call your doctor to check them out and to rule out ovarian cancer as a possible cause.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

5 Science-Backed Ways to Lower Your Ovarian Cancer Risk
Approximately 22,000 U.S. women are diagnosed with ovarian cancer each year. But it’s possible to lower your odds of a diagnosis by making certain lif...
What is the role of OVX1 in ovarian cancer?
David A. Fishman, MDDavid A. Fishman, MD
OVX1 refers to either the ovarian or breast cancer related antigen on a high molecular weight mu...
How does ovarian cancer affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Ovarian cancer affects the body in a few ways. As the cancer spreads beyond the ovary into the abdom...
How Do You Decide Whether to Do Robotic or Open Surgery to Treat Cancer?