What is the survival rate for advanced-stage ovarian epithelial cancer?

David A. Fishman, MD
Gynecologic Oncology
Despite aggressive surgical intervention and new chemotherapeutic regimens, the overall five-year survival rate for women with advanced stage epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC) (stages III and IV) remains poor (<30%). However, if EOC is detected when confined t o the ovary (stage I), the 5-year survival rate is more than 90%, it requires less radical and morbid operations and may not require adjuvant chemotherapy. Clearly, detection of early stage ovarian cancer is the best way to improve survival.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

If Diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer, What Should My Family Know?
After an ovarian cancer diagnosis, it's important to let family and loved ones know that their support will be needed, says Audra Moran. In this video...
What can I do if I feel overwhelmed by a cancer diagnosis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If you feel overwhelmed by a cancer diagnosis, there are support groups for you and your loved ones....
What are the symptoms and risk factors for ovarian cancer?
Ovarian Cancer Research Fund (OCRF)Ovarian Cancer Research Fund (OCRF)
The symptoms of ovarian cancer are: vague but persistent and unexplained gastrointestinal compla...
What Environmental Factors Contribute to Ovarian Cancer?