What is the role of VCAM-1 in ovarian cancer?

David A. Fishman, MD
Gynecologic Oncology
VCAM-1 is a receptor on the surface of activated endothelial and mesothelial cells. In instances of inflammation, it promotes white blood cell attachment and extravasation. There are reports of it being involved in metastasis of ovarian cancer. The effects of cytokines promoting angiogenesis have been shown to be potentiated by VCAM-1 in endothelial cells. As a soluble form of VCAM-1 is released from endothelial cells, it may prove useful in detecting early or pre-clinical ovarian cancer.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

If Diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer, What Should My Family Know?
After an ovarian cancer diagnosis, it's important to let family and loved ones know that their support will be needed, says Audra Moran. In this video...
How is apolipoprotein A1 (ApoA1) associated with ovarian cancer?
David A. Fishman, MDDavid A. Fishman, MD
Apolipoprotein A1 (ApoA1) is one of the constituents of the cholesterol removing high-density li...
What should I ask my doctor once diagnosed with ovarian cancer?
Elizabeth Poynor, MDElizabeth Poynor, MD
Two important questions for your doctor:What is your experience treating ovarian cancer?What is your...
What Are the Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer?