What is the role of insulin-like growth factor (IGF) in ovarian cancer?

David A. Fishman, MD
Gynecologic Oncology
Insulin-like growth factor (IGF) I and II and their binding protein constitute a point of cell proliferation and survival regulation. That being the case, these proteins may play a role in carcinogenesis and progression of tumors. Ovarian cancer diagnosis at later stages and poor prognoses have been associated with IGF-II expression. For example, IGF-II has been reported to have involvement in taxol resistance and shortening of disease-free interval.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

Ovarian Cancer: Where You Receive Treatment Matters
According to a large, multi-center study, women with ovarian and vaginal cancers live longer when treated at hospitals that regularly treat those type...
What are the stages of ovarian cancer?
Stage I ovarian cancer has not spread beyond the ovaries (T1 N0 M0). Stage II cancer may involve org...
How is ovarian cancer staged?
Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA)Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA)
Ovarian cancer staging is done during surgery, and generally requires removing lymph nodes, samples ...
What Are the Causes of Ovarian Cancer?
What Are the Causes of Ovarian Cancer?