What is the role of EGFR in ovarian cancer?

David A. Fishman, MD
Gynecologic Oncology
Ovarian tumors overexpress EGFR (epidermal growth factor receptor). The EGFR gene is estimated to be overexpressed in 10% to 20% of ovarian cancers, while minimal increases are seen in 43% of cases. It is thought that the factor that determines overall and disease-free survival is the EGF receptor (EGF-R). Increased expression of EGF receptor is associated with poorer outcomes as this is seen with more aggressive entities.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

When You Should Have an Ovarian Cancer Screening
In the United States unnecessary medical tests and procedures are a trillion, billion dimes a dozen. The Lown Institute says up to $800 billion a year...
What is the rate of incidence of ovarian cancer?
The rate of incidence of ovarian cancer in America is about 15 per 100,000 women. The rate of incide...
How is ovarian cancer treated?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
There are a number of ovarian cancer treatments, including surgery, chemotherapy (sometimes called c...
How Will My Doctor Decide If I Should Have Robotic or Open Surgery?