What is the risk of malignancy index (RMI) for ovarian cancer?

David A. Fishman, MD
Gynecologic Oncology
Risk of malignancy index (RMI) is a tool currently being used in women who have no symptoms of ovarian cancer. It allows patients who are more likely to have epithelial ovarian cancer to be triaged into a group that would be seen by a gynecologic oncologist compared with patients with a lower probability of malignancy. Those patients would be managed by a practitioner without advanced training.

RMI is obtained by multiplying serum cancer antigen 125 (CA125) levels in U/mL, by a score given for specific pelvic ultrasound findings, and by a score given for menopausal status.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

Ovarian Cancer: Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Prevention
Ovarian cancer is too often found after it's already reached an advanced stage. “Unfortunately, while screening tests exist for a number of cancers ou...
What is the role of VEGF in ovarian cancer?
David A. Fishman, MDDavid A. Fishman, MD
The production of malignant ascites (fluid in the abdomen causing abdominal distension) seen in ...
Can I get ovarian cancer if my ovaries are removed?
Hugo D. Ribot Jr., MDHugo D. Ribot Jr., MD
Unfortunately one can get a type of cancer that to the pathologist looking at tissue under the micro...
What Is Ovarian Cancer?
What Is Ovarian Cancer?