What are the disadvantages of radiation for ovarian cancer?

When I started my residency a long time ago, radiation therapy was one of the main treatments for ovarian cancer. Doctors used to radiate the entire abdomen. But chemotherapy became more effective than radiation therapy. The complications from radiation therapy, treating the whole abdomen, are very high.

Ovarian cancer spreads into the abdominal cavity, so doctors need to treat the entire abdominal cavity. Where there are wider organs like the liver and kidneys whose radiation tolerance is very low, the amount of radiation you can give these organs is not adequate to control the microscopic disease. So with effective chemotherapy, radiation therapy is not used anymore in a general fashion. But doctors do use radiation therapy for some targeted local problems where indicated -- if there’s a painful mass, a tumor that is not respondent to chemotherapy and is causing an obstruction, or some problematic areas.
Scott A. Kamelle, MD
Gynecologic Oncology
As a rule of thumb, there is no standard role for radiation in patients with ovarian cancer. Because ovary cancer is a systemic disease, chemotherapy which treats the entire body is more effective therapy.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

Detecting Ovarian Cancer
Detecting Ovarian Cancer
Your ovaries lie deep within your pelvis, which makes disease detection tricky. Early screening methods for ovarian cancer have so far proved unreliab...
Can only older women get ovarian cancer?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Ovarian cancer doesn’t just happen in older women. Younger women can also be affected.
What can I do if I feel overwhelmed by a cancer diagnosis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If you feel overwhelmed by a cancer diagnosis, there are support groups for you and your loved ones....
What Is the Treatment for Advanced Ovarian Cancer?