What is the best way for my doctor to screen for ovarian cancer?

In most cases, ovarian cancer symptoms are not apparent in the early stages of the disease. As a result, ovarian cancer tends to be diagnosed at a more advanced stage.

Because there is no routine screening test for ovarian cancer, women with a family history of the disease or other risk factors should talk with their doctor about genetic testing and other steps they can take to monitor or reduce their risk. Routine gynecologic care and annual pelvic exams are currently the best way to screen for symptoms of ovarian cancer.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

If I've Been Diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer, What Should I Ask My Doctor?
Two important questions for your doctor: "What is your experience treating ovarian cancer?" and "What is your approach to treating it?" In this video,...
How is ovarian cancer graded?
While the stage of ovarian cancer refers to the extent of primary tumor invasion and cancer spread, ...
How is ovarian cancer staged?
Barbara A. Goff, MDBarbara A. Goff, MD
The only way to prevent ovarian cancer is to have your tubes and ovaries removed however there are s...
What Is the Recurrence Rate of Ovarian Cancer?