Should I be screened if I have a low risk for ovarian cancer?

If you have a low risk for ovarian cancer, your doctor likely will recommend that you not be screened for the disease. However, this recommendation does not apply to those women deemed to be at high risk for ovarian cancer.

In 1999, a program was created for women at increased risk for ovarian cancer by combining genetics, gynecologic oncology, diagnostic imaging, psychology and molecular biology to optimize women’s health care. Women at risk include those with a personal history of breast, ovarian, colon cancer or a family history of these and other malignancies, all of which may have a genetic basis for inherited cancer.

The past and present challenge of screening for ovarian cancer is that we need tools that detect early rather than advanced stage disease; that is, before the disease is lethal. In the high-risk population, women at risk are identified before they develop cancer and offer prevention strategies. Unfortunately, to date no clinically validated blood test(s) or imaging studies exist that allow healthcare providers to detect early stage ovarian cancer.

The recommendation is not to screen low-risk women for ovarian cancer due to the limitations of our current medical technology. Once the medical community has clinically validated tests that allow the detection of early rather than late-stage ovarian cancer, screening will have value and save women’s lives.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

If Diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer, What Should My Family Know?
After an ovarian cancer diagnosis, it's important to let family and loved ones know that their support will be needed, says Audra Moran. In this video...
What are the symptoms of early and late-stage ovarian cancer?
Stephen K. Montoya, MDStephen K. Montoya, MD
Late-stage ovarian cancer symptoms include pain and anorexia, says Stephen Montoya, MD, an OB/GYN at...
What is the role of IGFBP-3 in ovarian cancer?
David A. Fishman, MDDavid A. Fishman, MD
Insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3 (IGFBP-3) is involved in the suppression of mitogen...
How Do You Decide Whether to Do Robotic or Open Surgery to Treat Cancer?